RSS

Sunday, 3 February 2008

My New Play!

I've done it. I've just gone and booked the theatre for my next play. The play I don't have a script for and the play I don't have a cast for (yet)! I'm booked in for April 17th, 18th & 19th.
The lovely lady at Salford Arts Theatre has given me a nice deal for three days at her venue, and it's a lovely venue too!

The seating and stage!

The outside

The very cute and funky Front of House area!
My play is currently un-titled.
I'll be holding auditions Mon 11th Feb and, on Fri 15th Feb with my small cast I'll be holding an improvised session, where they will create their own characters and this will form the starting point of my script.
I've decided not to perform in this one and concentrate fully on the writing and producing of it. Hopefully I'll also get someone else to direct too.
This is a HUGE leap for me as I care about my plays so much, I usually try and do everything and hate to delegate. But I'm not Superwoman and I think for it to be a success I need to trust others too. (I'm being much firmer this time around - after learning the hard way with past productions).
Two actors from a previous play have shown an interest in working on this project, which I think might work because I totally trust them and think they are both brilliant actors.
But I'm also looking forward to meeting new actors too.
The thing I've hated from past experiences is the fact that becasue I can't pay the actors, but in return I try and invite as many agents and casting directors as possible for them, some within the first week of rehearsals always mess me about with rehearsal availability. They say they're completely free in the audition, then once they've been cast they pull out a list of dates they can't do. It's so frustrating. Which is why I have to be firmer this time, I don't have time to waste.
So fingers crossed this works, or I could find myself doing a one-woman show!!


5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Congrats. Can't wait to hear what it is about.

Sally Lawton said...

Thanks Rebecca, I'll definitely keep you posted! :)

Barrie said...

Wow! Sally, you're amazing! Keep us posted.

Phillipa said...

Sally - you are amazing. I can't imagine stepping out on stage, let alone acting/writing and directing. I would love to see you in one of your plays one day.

Sally Lawton said...

Thanks so much Barrie and Phillipa, what lovely messages.
I do just love the theatre, it was a huge part of my childhood and I just can't seem to keep away from it!
I'll be sure to keep you posted and Phillipa, I have some clips of my last play so I'll try and put some clips on here so you can see me in action! Eek! I'll just have to dig them out!!
:)

 
Copyright Mirth in Manchester 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .